The Bundaberg Scheme supplies water to farmlands and communities in Burnett, Kolan and Isis Shire as well as Bundaberg city. The scheme sources water from Fred Haigh and Paradise Dam.
Burnett Water Pty Ltd (BWPL) became a subsidiary company of Sunwater on 16 December 2005 after Sunwater bought all the shares in the company from the Queensland State Government.
BWPL was set up by the State Government in 2001 to progress much needed water infrastructure in the Wide Bay-Burnett region. The water infrastructure construction projects developed by Burnett Water were Paradise Dam and Kirar Weir.
Paradise Dam is located 80kms from Bundaberg and makes available 124,000 megalitres of Medium Priority and 20,000 megalitres of High Priority Water Allocations. Kirar Weir is situated on the Burnett River, 5kms for Eidsvold, and makes available 20,000 megalitres of Medium Priority Water Allocations.
How the scheme works
- More than 600km of channel and pipeline distribute supplies to more than 1,000 properties
- The scheme consists of seven distinct channel systems that supplement or replace demand for groundwater in the district
- More information about the scheme is available in a Fact Sheet located here.
- Irrigation water for crops including sugar cane, tomatoes, rockmelons, watermelons, capsicum, zucchini, beans, macadamia nuts and avocados
- Urban water supply for Bundaberg and communities in the Burnett, Kolan and Isis Shires
- Industrial water for various enterprise including sugar mills.
Scheme updates and Fact Sheets
Paradise Dam capacity yield and allocation sales information
Announced Allocation Scenario Map and Water Demand Study findings
Announced Allocation Scenario Map
Bundaberg Network Capacity Assessment Project
Customer Update – Paradise Dam update
Fred Haigh Fact Sheet
Australian Macadamia Society Presentation question and answers
Bundaberg Water Supply Scheme Zoom Shed Talk questions and answers
Customer Update – End of Paradise Dam out of allocation event
Customer Update – Approval of water-sharing rule amendment
End of Water Year Newsletters
Interruption to water supply notices
Interruption to water supply – Abbotsford planned shutdown
Interruption to water supply – Gooburrum, Booyan, Moore Park planned shutdown
Interruption to water supply – Gin Gin and Bingera planned shutdown
Interruption to water supply – Bingera planned shutdown