Purchase or transfer

Purchase or transfer

Ownership of a water allocation title can be traded, similar to the sale of land title transfer types:

  • water allocation sale
  • devised by will
  • deed of gift
  • mortgagee in possession

Upon entering a sale contract the purchaser and seller must complete an Application for Water Supply Contract Form (found on our forms page, here). The application is completed and submitted to Sunwater with the required documentation detailed on the form.

Required documents to commence must be provided by solicitor or purchaser:

  • Application for Water Supply Contract Form found on our customer forms page here
  • Customer Profile Form (for all new customers), refer to the above link
  • Copy of sale contract or completed form 1 & 24
  • Company search (if purchaser is a company) completed within the last 6 months
  • Full trust name details (if purchaser is a trust)
  • Death Certificate and the applicable Title document/s 4, 5, 5A or 6 (if deceased estate)
  • Water allocation searches for all water allocations.

Required documents to complete must be provided by solicitor or purchaser:

  • Copy of stamped form 1 & 24
  • If a financier is lodging documents with Titles provide contact details of the financier (if applicable)
  • Return signed Deed of Guarantee (if applicable)
  • Copy of Registration Confirmation Statement/s (RCS) issued by the Department.

All required documentation can be sent to Sunwater via the preferred method of email or alternatively post.

Email: [email protected]

Post: Customer Support, Sunwater Limited, PO Box 15536, CITY EAST QLD 4001

Steps — Commence purchase or transfer

  1. Sunwater receives the application form and required documents from solicitor/purchaser
  2. We will assess the application and review the documents and the customer’s water accounts
  3. If further information or direction is required, Sunwater will email a request for further information to solicitor/purchaser for a response (e.g. payment of outstanding account, security or guarantee requirements)
  4. Sunwater receives the additional information and/or direction from solicitor/purchaser
  5. We will issue by email the self-executing water supply contract/s, these do not need to be signed and returned to Sunwater
  6. We will issue by email the Deed of Guarantee (if applicable) to solicitor/purchaser, which must be signed and returned to Sunwater
  7. We will issue via email the Notice to Registrar (NTR) to solicitor/purchaser

Steps — Complete purchase or transfer

  1. Solicitor/purchaser is to provide Sunwater with a copy of the stamped form 1 & 24, financier contact details (if applicable) and signed Deed of Guarantee (if applicable) to allow the transfer of the water allocation from the seller’s account to the purchaser [see note below]
  2. On receipt of stamped form 1 & 24, financier contact details and signed Deed of Guarantee, Sunwater will transfer the water allocation to the purchaser
  3. Solicitor/purchaser to provide copy of Registration Confirmation Statement (RCS) to Sunwater when transfer is registered at Titles and on receipt, Sunwater provides a release of supply contract letter to the seller.

Please note: If the stamped form 1 & 24, RCS or financier contact details are not supplied to Sunwater within 20 business days of issuing the ‘Notice to Registrar’, Sunwater will conduct water allocation search/es. All search fees incurred will be invoiced to the purchaser.

 Response time by Sunwater

Our aim is to complete all applications efficiently and within an acceptable timeframe.

The following is a guide on our response times:

  • Issue self-executing water supply contract/s, Notice to Registrar and Deed of Guarantee (if applicable): 10 business days from receipt of fully completed application form and all required documents/forms and any request for further information.

Application fee

An Administration and Transfer Fee is applicable and an invoice for the fee is emailed to the Solicitor/Purchaser upon receipt of the application. Current fees can be obtained from the relevant scheme’s fees and charges schedule.

For assistance with purchasing or selling water on a temporary basis (via temporary transfer) or a permanent basis (via property transfer), customers are encouraged to engage with a water broker. See Sunwater’s recommended water brokers in the below table.

Broker nameContact details
Ruralco WaterContact name: Lincoln Parr (Water Broker)
Mobile: 0419473153
Email: [email protected]
Website: www.ruralcowater.com.au
Waterfind AustraliaPhone: 1800 890 285
Email: [email protected]
Website: www.waterfind.com.au
Address: Waterfind Australia
PO Box 3316
Rundle Mall SA 5000
National Water BrokersPhone: (02) 8008 0084
Email: [email protected]
Website: http://nationalwaterbrokers.com.au/
Address: Water Trading Department Suite 1/146 Greenhill Road Parkside SA 5063
Queensland Water BrokersContact name: Matt Donovan
Mobile: 0418 840 896
Email: [email protected]
Website: www.queenslandwaterbrokers.com