A Dam Safety Review and Comprehensive Risk Assessment at Paradise Dam was conducted following a record flood event in January 2013. Engineering assessments identified areas of the dam that could be future strengthened to withstand extreme weather events.
What was involved?
Stage 1 of works included:
- strengthening and additional concrete protection to the base of the primary spillway
- downstream protection of the left-hand side dam wall
- construction of an access and drainage culvert.
Planning is underway for the next stage of works, which is proposed to carry out more significant improvements to the primary and secondary spillways.
- Flood repair works carried out in 2013 and 2014
- Further improvement works completed in late 2017
- Stage 2 works will not be completed until 2025.
Paradise Dam, Queensland
Approximately 20km north-west of Biggenden and 80km south-west of Bundaberg.