Lower Burdekin Rising Groundwater Mitigation ProjectLower Burdekin, North Queensland
The Project will investigate and deliver off-farm actions to contribute to the mitigation of rising groundwater in the region.
Groundwater Issues in the Lower Burdekin Region
Groundwater levels have risen across most of the Lower Burdekin since intensive agriculture commenced in the 1980s.
As one part of a holistic approach shared by government, industry, customers and community, Sunwater is delivering the Lower Burdekin Rising Groundwater Mitigation Project (the Project) as a critical course of action to respond to rising groundwater in the Lower Burdekin.
About the Project
Sunwater’s Lower Burdekin Rising Groundwater Mitigation Project will investigate and deliver off-farm actions to contribute to the mitigation of rising groundwater in the region.
The four-year, $12.5 million project will utilise a range of preventative measures and intervention techniques to counter the threat of rising groundwater levels and high water salinity.
Sunwater is working with local grower representatives, agronomists, scientists and government agencies to identify sustainable solutions for areas impacted by rising groundwater.
Throughout the Project, Sunwater will regularly engage with stakeholders and provide opportunities for community input, while an Independent Science Panel will review design and environmental considerations.
Find out what you can do on your farm to contribute to mitigating rising groundwater.
We have listed some helpful resources below that you can access to learn more.
- Queensland Government’s Land Restoration Fund – Round 2 supports landholders interested in developing a new carbon farming project or entering the carbon farming industry.
- NQ Dry Tropics a not-for-profit organisation that supports the Burdekin Dry Tropics Community to sustainably manage its land and water. For funding and grants opportunities, visit the NQ Dry Tropics online Grants Hub.
- Burdekin Productivity Services (BPS) a not-for-profit organisation providing independent resource for agronomic advice and support throughout the Burdekin district.
- AgriTech Solutions provide agronomic advice to farming enterprises and the irrigation industry, with a particular focus on sugarcane and horticulture.
- Farmacist provide agronomic solutions to communities in the Burdekin, and Far North Queensland region.