Your privacy is important to us. SunWater Limited and its subsidiaries (collectively referred to as SunWater) are committed to protecting your privacy and complying with our obligations in the National Privacy Principles in Schedule 3 of the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).
Collecting Personal Information
SunWater collects personal information for the purposes of providing water infrastructure and supply solutions to our customers and personalising our services to meet our customers needs. The personal information you provide to SunWater may include your name, address, telephone numbers and personal preferences.
Other information collected
A 'cookie' is a small data file transferred by a website to your computer's hard drive. SunWater sends cookies when you:
- view pages on our website;
- send a request to SunWater; or
- register yourself on our website for certain services.
The 'cookie' does not give us access to your personal information, but we may use the cookie to identify your computer. There are two types of cookies; 'session' and 'permanent' cookies:
- Session cookies – do not stay on your computer after you leave our website or close your browser.
- Permanent cookies – remain on your computer. They are used to facilitate registration services. Permanent cookies can be manually removed by the user.
When you look at SunWater’s website, our Internet Service Provider makes a record of your visit and logs the following information for statistical purposes only:
- The user's IP address;
- The user's top level domain name (for example .com, .gov, .au, etc);
- The date and time of visit to the website;
- The pages accessed and documents downloaded;
- The previous site visited; and
- The type of browser used.
No attempt is or will be made to identify users or their browsing activities outside this site. In the unlikely event of an investigation, a law enforcement agency may exercise a warrant to inspect activity logs.
How personal information is used
The personal information you provide to SunWater may be used:
(a) in accordance with your written consent;
(b) for a number of purposes connected with our business operations, which include (without limitation):
- Identifying you to assist with easier subscription to our website services;
- Processing your orders or applications;
- Providing you with products and/or services requested;
- Dealing with requests, enquiries or complaints and other customer care related activities;
- Helping SunWater to better understand your needs; and
- Publishing prices and volumes traded via the site to provide information to water markets; and
(c) otherwise in ways that you would expect and as permitted by the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).
Sharing your personal information
SunWater may disclose or receive personal information about you to/from the following parties:
- Credit providers or credit reporting agencies for the purposes permitted under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth);
- Law enforcement agencies to assist in the prevention of criminal activities;
- Our employees or service providers for purposes that are related to providing you with a service that would be reasonably expected; and/or
- Otherwise as permitted by the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).
Except for the above, SunWater will not disclose your personal information to third parties unless you give your prior consent.
How SunWater handles e-mail correspondence and feedback information
As a Government Owned Corporation, email correspondences sent to SunWater’s website will be treated as a public record and will be retained as required by the Public Records Act 2002 and other relevant regulations.
Your name and address details will not be added to a mailing list, nor will we disclose these details to a third party without your consent unless required by law. However E-mail messages may be monitored by our website support staff for system trouble shooting and maintenance purposes.
SunWater is committed to protecting the information you provide us. In support of this SunWater have physical and managerial procedures to safeguard the information we collect.
Your personal information and security
SunWater takes all reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we collect, use or disclose is accurate, complete, and up-to-date. If you wish to access or update your personal information, please contact SunWater’s Privacy Contact Officer on the details.
Please note that you may also make an application for access to or amendment of your personal information under the Information Privacy Act 2009 (Qld). See the Office of the Information Commissioner website for further information.
All personal information collected is stored in a secure environment protected from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
If you have further queries about SunWater privacy and security practices, please contact our Privacy Contact Officer during our business hours of 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday:
Privacy Contact Officer
Level 10, 179 Turbot Street Brisbane Queensland 4000
PO Box 15536 City East Queensland 4002
Phone: +61 7 3120 0000
Fax: +61 7 3120 0260
Links to non-SunWater websites
Please note that SunWater’s website provides links to external websites. However we do not control these sites or their privacy statements. We do not endorse or make any representation about third party websites.