Utilising a $1.915 million grant from the National Water Infrastructure Development Fund, Sunwater undertook a feasibility study to address key issues facing the scheme, as well as the long-term environmental and economic sustainability of the region.
What was involved?
A range of potential options to improve supply outcomes were assessed, including:
- an upgrade of the Haughton main channel
- additional pipelines and balancing storages
- targeted channel lining to prevent seepage
- groundwater dewatering and re-use.
- The feasibility report was finalised in June 2018.
Burdekin Falls Dam, North Queensland
Approximately 200km south of Townsville.