skip to main content skip to navigation


Property & Water Allocation Transfer Process

Faster property transfers

SunWater is pleased to advise we have streamlined the property transfer process to turn around water supply contracts faster.

Key highlights include:

  • Electronic Application Forms: You now have the ability to complete PDF application forms online and save copies to be completed at a later stage. If you’d prefer you can still print a paper application form and complete the details traditionally. The application form will now form part of your contract.
  • You can find the application forms here:
  • Self-Executing Contracts: Irrigation customers no longer need to sign and return contracts to SunWater. Our new contracts are self-executable, which means you will receive them via email along with your completed application form and title documentation showing water allocations which form part of your contract.
  • Updated Processes: We’ve updated the property transfer steps on our website to make the process clearer.

Process Overview

A water allocation is an authority to take water, and an entitlement to a share of the available water resource in the catchment. A water allocation has a title separate from a land title and can be bought and sold independently in a similar way to land.

For more detailed information on water allocations and water allocation priority groups please view the understanding water allocations fact sheet.

Water allocation trading may include:

Purchase / Transfer — ownership of a water allocation title can be traded, similar to the sale of land title.

Change to a Water Allocation (Zone; Priority; Purpose; Name) — the most common change request is to move the allocation to a different location. The location is zone specified in a Resource Operation Plan. A change may also relate to the purpose or priority of the water allocation.

Lease — a water allocation can be leased for a defined period of time. A water allocation lease is similar to a lease of land; however, only whole water allocations can be leased.

Subdivision or Amalgamation — a water allocation can be subdivided into two or more parts to create new water allocations, conversely two or more water allocations with the same attributes can be amalgamated to create a new single water allocation.

Further information relating to Water Allocation Trading in Queensland can be located on the Queensland Government website:

Select each of the sections above to view information regarding SunWater’s procedures/processes for dealing with various types of ‘Water Allocation’ applications.

SunWater’s process varies slightly for:

Water Boards — the applicant has a distribution contract with a Distribution Operations Licence (DOL) Holder – details of the DOL Holders and the variation to process can be viewed here.

Zero Water Allocation — relates to a Property Transfer NOT including a water allocation whereby the infrastructure (pump/meter) that provides for the taking of water may need to be assigned to the Purchaser.

To reduce our customers’ paper handling and postage costs, and improve turnaround times, SunWater accepts documentation for water allocation transfers in softcopy via email, as an alternative to hardcopy by post. Should you wish to provide us your documents via email, they should be sent as text-readable pdfs to If documents are sent in softcopy, we do not require them to be sent in hardcopy as well.

Should you have any queries in relation to sending documents electronically, please call Customer Support on 13 15 89.